Lincoln Fur Farm
Near Larkspur on Fox Farm Road was located Lincoln Fur Farm which began operations in 1928 with E.V. McCullough proprietor. Cages for the fox were barrels buried in the ground and eventually included one hundred enclosures. High fences were constructed on the perimeter of the property to prevent road noise and unlawful entry. If the vixens were disturbed they would begin moving their kits around which eventually resulted in the death of the babies. Foxes are meat loving animals so the farm included enough acreage to support horses, cattle and sheep that were used for food. The farm raised Silver, Blue and Pearltina breeds which were small breeds and weighed between ten and twelve pounds. The most prized pelts were those of the Pearltina which was a cross between the Platinum and Blue. Occasionally, a pure black fox was born and their pelts were of no value so these critters were released and presumably bred with other wild foxes.
When it came time to process the pelts the animals were skinned and the pelts placed in a tumbler filled with hardwood sawdust to begin the drying cycle. The pelts were then nailed to a board for two days. Eventually the finished product was shipped by railway to manufactures.
In 1951 The United States government removed restrictions on the import of Russian furs and a decline in sales in America began to unfold. The Lincoln Fur Farm was later sold and is now a working ranch.
L-R; T.G. Prince, Wallace Turner and Mrs. McCullough. c. 1930- 1950