This facility known as “Gray’s Store” was built in 1889 by The Perry Park Company near the present day entrance gate to Perry Park.. In addition to serving as a general store the building contained rooms for travelers and served as the Post Office for the town of Perry. In 1901 John Gray earned a $25 reward when he seized a horse thief who had stopped in his store. The day before a post card from the Sheriff’s office in Denver had been sent out with the description of the thief and the horse stolen. That weekend Gray took his prisoner to Larkspur and caught the train for Denver, turning his prisoner into the Sherriff’s office and obtaining his just reward.
This ad appeared in the February 7th issue of the Castle Rock Journal in 1902.