Brief histories of the properties featured in the windows of the Philip S. Miller Building
The Frink house, located in Larkspur, Colorado, will celebrate it’s 100th birthday in 2014. The home was purchased by Clarence and Ellen Frink and is located near a creamery which Mr. Frink also owned.
Since this home has known few owners, the interior is much the same as it was at the time of construction: hardwood floors of white maple, the fireplace and woodwork are trimmed out in rich cherry, and there are nursery rhyme pictures around the walls of the nursery.
The American Federation of Human Rights, Larkspur, Colorado. The AFHR is a Co-Masonry organization, founded in France 250-300 years ago. Members settled in Pennsylvania in the coal mining region and eventually located their world headquarters in Larkspur around 1918.
The bricks for the three story temple were fashioned in a smaller home on Federation property. This building was completed in 1928 and has since been an active site for the majority of it’s ninety-six year history in Larkspur. This property is also listed on the National Historic Registration.
The Spring Valley School was a part of School District Number 3, one of the original school districts designated in the County. As with most one room school houses, Spring Valley, was the site of church services, dances, and other meetings held by the community.
The school building was sold to a family who used it as a “get away” spot. Because of this family, devoted to history, there were not radical changes made to the building. It was sold back to the County in approximately 2010 and once again looks like the one room school house of the 1870’s.
The Greenland Townsite located on the Palmer Divide, the tableland separating two geographical areas. The Denver & Rio Grande railroad extended into Greenland in the early 1870’s and a small post office and depot were located. This was cattle country, first and foremost. There was shipping of cattle and some products and the town of Greenland never grew as anticipated by the National Land and Improvement Company.
The townsite of 2014, consists of a one room school house, a boarded up building which once served as a residence, a post office, and gas station. There are also several homes, one of some historic interest, and a trail head built by Douglas County to resemble the store front of the Higby General Store of a by-gone era.
See pictures of the window displays
Credits and Additional information about these window displays
Two windows in the interior of the Philip S. Miller Building, 100 Third Street, Castle Rock, Colorado were created by Danna Hamling, Glen Leise, and Bob Leise, members of the Larkspur Historical Society. This was done as our part of Archaeology and Historic Preservation Month, celebrated each May.