Larkspur historical Society
TEXT SIZE Medium Large

Simey & Potts Ranch / Charles J. Palm Ranch

This ranch was on the south side of Perry Park. George H. Simey and William C. Potts homesteaded the property in 1880. The Castle Rock Journal of 1890 said that “The new saw mill in the Simey Canon will be sawing this week.” Possibly the property was not ranched, but had a saw mill operation, being at the edge of the Pikes Peak National forest. Charles J. Palm purchased the Simey and Potts property in 1897. At this time the papers showed that Charles was making extensive improvements to his ranch.

To give some background on Charles Palm; he started in the lumber business in 1879 in Greenland, but soon went to Castle Rock. Charles went into business in Castle Rock in 1888, and formed a partnership with a brother, Edward. They had a general merchandise store, their motto being “Live and let live”. Charles married Annie “Anna” Carlson in 1891 and they had six children, two sons and four daughters. In 1901 Charles died at his ranch. His wife, Anna kept the ranch until 1963 when she died. The 1930s US Federal census shows that son Harland, at age 34, stayed on the ranch with his mother and a brother, Gilbert. The ranch later was operated by a granddaughter of Charles and Anna.

1891 photo of Charles and Anna Matilda Palm. Thanks to Shirley Tucker Terry for the use of her photo.

Thanks to the Colorado Historic Newspaper Collection, the U.S. Federal Census on and the book “Our Heritage the People of Douglas County.